What are the Causes of Eczema?
Over the years scientists have failed to find the single-most cause of eczema. Instead, it is attributed to several triggers that cause the condition to flare up:
- Chemical irritants such as alcohol, pesticides, perfumes, detergents and some astringents.
- Drastic changes in temperature and humidity.
- Physical irritants. Some clothing materials such as wool are woven using rough and scratchy materials that irritate the skin and trigger eczema.
- Stress, which comes with intense emotional reactions such as sadness or anger, can lead to low immunity therefore triggering the condition.
- Exposure to allergens such as dust, mold and pollen trigger eczema.
- Some infections of the skin trigger the condition.
Eczema is more common in females than males. It has also been genetically linked, meaning it is more common and severe in some people than others.