Diabetes related amputations in England at an all-time high.
According to new analysis diabetes amputations hit a record high of 20 a day with figures showing some NHS trusts are 10 times likelier than others to resort to an amputation, even though 80% could be preventable.
Diabetes UK says there is an alarming difference in quality of care seen across the country and while the best-performing areas have consistently reduced their amputation rates, the worst-performing areas have made no improvements.
Experts estimate that up to 80% of diabetes-related amputations are preventable. Most are caused by foot ulcers, which are avoidable and easy to treat if detected early.
Using Public Health England figures, the charity discovered there are now 7,370 amputations a year - considerably more than the earlier figure of 7,042.
Diabetes UK wants the Government and the NHS to improve diabetes foot care, especially in areas where amputation rates are stagnant or getting worse.
Chris Askew, the charity's chief executive, said: "We know the devastating impact they have on people's lives as well as the huge cost to the NHS, yet we are not seeing action happening quickly enough across all areas of the country to address this.
"It's a travesty that good quality foot care is a postcode lottery. People need to be getting the right care in the right place at the right time now."
Robert Carew-Hunt is a former Foreign Office diplomat who suffers from Type 2 diabetes.
Over a 12-year period, he suffered several serious infections in his feet - and specialists at St George's Hospital in south London had no choice but to amputate his left leg below the knee after attempting at first to cut off one toe at a time.
He told Sky News: "There's a tendency to think if I control my blood sugars well, nothing bad will happen. That isn't the case unfortunately."
Source: News Sky.com
- Diabetes related amputations in England at an all-time high.
- 7 reasons why taking part in a Diabetes Clinical Study may just be the best health decision you will ever make
- Diabetes Prevention NOT cure
- Small Weight Loss BIG Health Gain
- NICE Diabetes Guidance
- Fat loss from pancreas can reverse effects of Type 2 diabetes
- Increasing testosterone can benefit men with Type 2 Diabetes
- The Diabetes and Obesity Epidemic: Exploding the Myths
- What You Should Know About Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes - It's time to get Serious!
- Type 2 Diabetes Linked To Dementia
- 15 minutes to transform type 2 diabetes treatment
- Diabetes Awareness Week
- Risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Huge rise in recent years in obesity