OPIOIDs a pain problem?
Pain Management - Time for an alternative to Opioids?
Opioids work to
help relieve pain by binding to receptors in the brain or body to reduce the
intensity of pain signals reaching the brain.
There are many forms of opioids (some can be bought over the counter!) The more familiar ones are called codeine, morphine, oxycodone and tramadol to name but a few.
Some examples of opioid use include:
- A patient recovering from surgery might be advised by the
surgeon to take them to help them cope with the pain following their
operation until they have recovered.
- Someone suffering with chronic pain caused by an injury, such
as severe back pain, could be prescribed opioids to help them through the
difficult stages of pain.
- In other cases where pain is caused by a debilitating illness
such as osteoarthritis, an opioid can prove helpful in managing the pain.
- Some cancer patients often use opioids to help them with pain
Although opioids can reduce short-term pain and effectively relieve pain there are serious risks and complications. One of their most common and distressing adverse effects is chronic opioid constipation, which occurs in 41% to 81% of patients.
It is now widely accepted by medical researchers that opioids are highly addictive, as many as 1 in 4 patients receiving opioids for chronic pain develop opioid use disorder. This is where the patient becomes dependent on the drug which results in significant health or social problems and impacts on the quality of their lives.
- International Clinical Trials Day
- OPIOIDs a pain problem?
- World Oral Health Day
- No Smoking Day
- Opioid Induced Constipation?
- Flu Vaccine Study
- Powerful Painkillers
- Relief in sight for Migraine sufferers?
- New Asthma injection offers fresh hope for severe asthma suffers.
- Why Clinical Studies Are Important!
- Time to take responsibility for your health?
- Just a Smoker's Cough?
- Smart Phones Help to Monitor your Health Conditions
- How air pollution affects your lungs
- 6 Billion Dollar Drug - Study Results